Pages

Spice of the Week!

White pepper: This tart, slightly sour pepper is great on fish and in soups. It looks really cool in a clear grinder with black lava salt.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Onion Jelly

This recipe is far more delicious then it sounds. It combines the sweetness of caramelized onion with the spiciness of smoked Spanish paprika and the cozy flavor of cinnamon. I came up with this recipe on a cold night when all I could find in the house(that looked worth eating)was an onion and some bread. So naturally, I had to make something. Now I hope you use some inventive thought in the cooking of this and add things I did not, none the less even if you stick to the recipe verbatim I am sure you will be pleased.

You will need:
1 Large Onion (diced)
1 Tbs Olive oil
1 Tsp Balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs Brown sugar(optional)
1/8 C Black pepper(whole)
Cinnamon
Salt
Smoked Spanish paprika

Caramelize the onions in a medium sauce pan on low heat. Add the balsamic vinegar and black pepper and let it cook for about 5 more minutes. Remove from the heat and add a dash of cinnamon and salt and the smoked paprika to taste. Put it all in a blender and blend on medium speed until slightly chunky. Spread it on good bread or even crepes. Enjoy!

~Z

3 comments:

  1. Z, people LOVE onion jam! It's great with -- please excuse the indelicacy -- meat or a hearty fish like trout. It looks like a great recipe. I'm gonna try it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to read your recipes, but with the grassy background it's impossible to see your text. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, how is it turning up on your computer because on mine the text is black the background is white and the edges are grassy I hope it is not hard for people to read

    ReplyDelete