Pages

Spice of the Week!

White pepper: This tart, slightly sour pepper is great on fish and in soups. It looks really cool in a clear grinder with black lava salt.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Gourmet Coconut Bars

Yet another recipe from the Gourmet Cookie Book. I've already made it twice. . . mostly because it's delicious, but also because my sister said that she'd pay me to make them for someone she owes a favor. Most enjoyable $20 bucks ever (she's a sucker, I know).
I doubled the recipe so we could eat some and give the rest away, and I've done so in this recipe as well. If you don't finish them all, your neighbors will appreciate the leftovers.

Ingredients:
crust:
1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
2 c. sifted flour
filling:
4 eggs
2 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. chopped walnuts (but I use roasted almonds)
1 c. shredded coconut tossed in scant 1/4 c. flour (which I also roast)
a large pinch of salt

Cream butter. Gradually add brown sugar and beat 'til smooth. Stir in sifted flour and spread batter into 2 8/8 pans lined with parchment. Bake at 375F for 17-20 min.

Beat eggs and brown sugar 'til smooth. stir in vanilla, almonds, coconut, and salt. Spread mixture over baked crust and bake for 20 min.

Enjoy!
-Z

6 comments:

  1. This picture is unbearably beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say your sister is not a sucker...but recognizes genius where genius is due. These bars are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Send me some and I'll let you know if they travel well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing! I am on a gluten free diet I am going to try these with coconut flour.

    ReplyDelete